Wednesday, February 23, 2011

where have I been?

I can't believe it has been so long since I've be on. My dh took two of my blogs that I follow and I haven't been able to put them back on. So, when I can corner my dd , I will again be able to read their blogs. Also, I lost the blag of my gd so will have to get that again.

I guess from reading the above rambling, you can guess why I haven't been on my blog. My brain is in a fog.

The winter has been long. As I get to feel sorry for myself, I get to thinking back on my childhood and think how hard my parents had it. No indoor bathroom, no running water, living in a house that was only wood and not insulated. Having a family of six and living in a house with 4 rooms( a kitchen, dining room, living room and one bedroom, all equal in size) and only one closet. All the girls sleeping in one bedroom. The folks having their bedroom on the porch, no heat out there . Having to live off the land, little money to live on. What do I have to complain about?

I will have to say, living like that was fun. I didn't know we were poor, and when I started going to school , we had to go out to the outhouse to use the bathroom. So I thought everyone lived like we did. We always had enough to eat, and when I started school each year, I always got a new dress and shoes. I remember, I was always cold. We would stand over the furnace on the floor till we were about to burn up and then run as fast as we could to get into bed before we cooled off. Mom would put boiling water in the water bottle and wrap it up in towels then put it by our feet so we could have our feet warm. I always hated it when my older sister would get up to get ready for school cause when she left she took the warm with her.

We could only have the school house a little warm. I guess they had to watch how much they spent on fuel. I never liked being cold. Even when we had a lot of snow we had to go outside to run. Thinking back, they were saving their sanity, all those kids in two rooms, I guess I would have turned them outside too. Mr and Mrs West were our teachers. She taught the first four grades and he taught the last four. She always had her hair done up in a bun and she had a jar of hand cream that she would always put on. He was more gruff than she was. I think he had a ruler that he would say he would use if we acted up. I never had it used on me. I'm not sure he ever used it on anyone, but I believed he would. So, I guess his threat worked.

I think if you would talk to anyone who went to school there , they would have the best stories to share. I will share some of them at a later date.

May you always feel loved!

No comments: